THE SYRO-MALANKARA CATHOLIC CHURCH
MAJOR ARCHIEPISCOPAL CURIA
CATHOLICATE CENTRE, TRIVANDRUM- 695 004, KERALA INDIA
SYNODAL COMMISSION FOR THE RELIGIOUS
Chairman: His Excellency Most Rev. Dr. Geevarghese Mar Divannasios
Shanti Bhavan, 'Catholic Bishop's House, Parladka, Puttur P.O., Karnataka – 574203,
E-mail: email@example.com, Tel : 08251 238538, 2365 38
Secretary: Rev Fr. Thomas Sajeev Theckecharuvil, OIC,
E-mail. firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 0471 2530052, 09447657710
1.Very Rev. Fr. Jose Kuruvila, OIC, Bethany Ashram Generalate, Vadavathoor P. O. Kottayam-686 010, T el. 0481 -257 8494, 257 1057
2. V. Rev. Mother Benjamin, SIC, Bethany Sisters Generalate, Vadavathoor P. O. Kottayam-686010, Tel. 0481-2578537
3. V. Rev. Fr. William Nedumpurath, OIC, Bethany Navajyothi Provincial Ashram, Desom, Aluva, Ernakulam-683103, Tel. 0484- 2605360, 2603464
4. V. Rev. Mother Giovani, SIC, Bethany Provincial House, Thirumoolapuram, Thiruvalla- 689601, T el. 0469 -2630229, 263 6087
5. V. Rev. Mother Parimala, SIC Bethany Provincial House, Sultan Bathery, Wayanadu -673592, Tel. 04936 -221468
6. V. Rev. Mother Thamim, SIC, Bethany Provincial House, Nannuvacadu, Pathanamthitta-689645, Tel. 0468-2228658
7. V. Rev. Mother Remya, SIC, Bethany Provinci al House, Anchalpetty, Muvattupuzha- 68 66 67, Tel. 0485-2273017
8. V. Rev. Mother Rose Francis, D. M., D.M. Provincial House, Marthandom. K. K. Dist. 629165, Tel. 0465l -272589, 27 025 I
9. V. Rev. Lilly Thomas, D. M., D.M. Provincial House, Medical College P.O, Pongummood, Trivandrum -695011, Tel. O47l-2553173
10.V. Rev. Subha Theresa, D. M., D.M. Provincial House, Sulthan Bathery, Wayanadu-673592, Tel. 04936-220803
11.V. Rev. Mother Lidiya, D. M., D.M. Provincial House, Venniyoor, Nellivila,, Trivandrum-695523, Tel. 0471-2481724
12.V. Rev. Fr. Abbot Yesudas, Kurusumala Ashram, Vagamon, Kottayam-685503, Tel. 04822-289 477, 289217
13.Rev. Sr. Alphin, S. H., S.H. Study House, Kulangara Lane, Pattom P. O, Trivandrum-695004
14.Rev. Sr. Joy Maria, SCV, Snehabhavan, P. B. No. 23, Pathanamthitta- 689645, TeI.0468- 2222483
15.Rev. Sr. Mary Sosamma, OSS, Holy Spirit Convent, Tholassery, Thiruvalla-689 101, Tel. 0469-2130823
1.V. Rev. Mother Giles, D.M., DM Generalate House, Kudappanakunnu, Trivandrum-69 5043, Tel. 0471-2731280
2.V. Rev. Mother Karunya, SIC, Bethany Convent, Nalanchira, Trivandrum- 695 015, Tel. 0471-2533695
3.V. Rev. Fr. Geevarghese Kuttiyil, OIC, Bethany Ashram Provincial House, Nalanchira, Trivandrum- 695015, Tel. 047l-2543799
4.V. Rev. Bro. Giles Thekkemury, CMSF, Moritz Bhavan, TC-3148, Kesavadasapuram, Trivandrum-6g 5 004, Tel. 0471-24407 55
THE REPORT OF THE FIRST MEETING OF THE SYNODAL COMMISSION FOR THE RELIGIOUS
The first meeting of the Synodal Commission for the Religious of the Syro- Malankara Catholic Church was held on 22 March 2006 at the Catholicate Centre at Pattom, Trivandrum. Most Rev. Yoohanon MarChrysostom, the Chairman of the Commission presided over the meeting. The following members were present
1. Rev. Fr. Thomas Reji Padinjattemelethil OIC (Secretary)
2. Very Rev. Fr. George Thomas Kallunkal OIC
3. Very Rev. Abbot Yesudas Thelliyil
4. Mother Benjamin SIC
5. Mother Lumina SIC
6. Mother Francina DM
7. Mother Serena SIC
8. Mother Rosetta SIC
9. Mother Philomena SIC
10. Mother Leo DM
11. Mother Patience SIC
12. Mother Subha Theresa DM
13. Mother Georgia DM
14. Mother Lilly Thomas DM
15. Sr. Theresi
16. Sr. Maria Kuthiravattom OSS
17. Sr. Constantina DSS
18. Sr. Leena GSS
19. Rev. Fr. Thomas Manoj Odalil OIC
20. Bro. Peter CMSF
Members of the Synodal Commission and special invitees gathered at the Catholicate Centre at 10 a.m. on 22 March 2006. Rev. Sr. Leena GSS made the opening prayer. Fr. Thomas Reji OIC, the Secretary, welcomed Most Rev. Yoohanon Mar Chrysostom, the Chairman of the Commission and other members. After the welcome address, the members introduced themselves.
The Presidential Address
Most Rev. Yoohanon Mar Chrysostom, the Chairman of the Commission, delivered the presidential address. He emphasised the role, the religious life had in the history of the Church and pointed out its dynamic existence and functioning in the Church today. Religious life originated in the Church right from its beginning and it is the source of the spiritual and ecclesial life of the Church. The Malankara Church too, has its basis, the religious life for its spiritual renaissance. The Bethany Congreations and the Congregation of the Daughters of Mary got established in the Malankara Church through Archbishop Mar Ivanios and they imbibed his spirit of monastic life. It is the Religious who have to sustain the Church through their ascetic life. Religious life is not apart from the Church, it is in the Church. The Religious, participate in the mission of the Church and remain in it fulfilling the mission of the Church. As the Malankara Catholic Church has entered into an elevated status of its existence and obligations, the role of the Religious in the life of the Church and in its building up is all the more relevant and challenging.
After the opening address, Rev. Fr. Antony Valiyavilayil OIC took a class on the role of the Synodal Commissions in the administrative system of the Church. On 10 February 2006 the Malankara Catholic Church became a fully autonomous Church in the Communion of the Catholic Churches under its Supreme Authority, the Roman Pontiff. The Malankara Church, continuing the priestly, prophetic and royal functions of Jesus Christ, exercises the sanctifying, teaching and governing powers in order to be a self-governing Church in the communion of Churches. The Synodal Commissions co-operate with the Catholicos and the Holy Synod in the exercise of these powers and make it available to the People of God. According to him, the particular role of the Synodal Commission for the Religious are:
- To supervise and promote the practice of ascetic life in its various forms in the Malankara Catholic Church.
- To undertake the study on the suitability of the establishing of a particular form of religious life before its canonical sanction to be given by the bishops and the Major Archbishop Catholicos.
- To study its typicon or constitution or statutes before its approval by the competent authority
- To promote and supervise the conferences of Major Superiors and the associations of the Religious
- To co-ordinate the pastoral activities of the various Religious institutes engaged in the pastoral ministry of the Church.
- To encourage institutions that would serve the common theological, philosophical and missiological formation of the religious.
After the class of Fr. Antony, there was a discussion to elucidate on the role of the Synodal Commissions as effective organs of the Curia in the administration of the Church.
The meeting decided to hold another sitting at the Catholicate Centre on 19 May 2006. It was further decided that the above commission shall concentrate on the study of the Law on Religious under the light of the CCEO. Sr. Anila Christy DM should be the resource person for this.
Rev. Sr. Maria OSS thanked the gathering. The meeting ended with prayer and lunch at 2 p.m.
Fr. Thomas Reji OIC